Proof of Sufficient Financial Resources

Most international students come to Germany without a scholarship. Thus, they must prove to the German foreign agencies (embassies) that they can finance their studies. The German government assumes a minimum amount of approx. 650€/month which comes to a total of 7800€ for one year. International students have to produce a so called proof of finance ("Finanzierungsnachweis") to the foreign embassies. Additional information about the Proof of Financing can be found here.

Visa and Entry Requirements

Questions of entry and residence are governed by the Immigration Act which came into force on 1st January 2005. The following information reflects the status of the law as of September 2007 (although since the Immigration Act came into force, a number of amendments have been made to the laws addressed.)
General Entry Provisions

EU citizens and EAA nationals enjoy freedom of movement on the basis of the Act on the General Freedom of Movement for EU Citizens. Visas are entered into the passport and allow both entry and temporary residence. Foreigners requiring a visa must obtain the visa in their respective home country/ country of residence before entering Germany.



The Schengen visa is issued for short term stays lasting up to three months per six-month period whilst a national visa is issued for longer stays planned to last more than three months.

Foreigners who would like to come to Germany to take up a course of studies or a doctoral programme or who would like to complete a research stay or work as a visiting academic or scientist are strongly advised against entering Germany on a Schengen visa. For the reason that the residence title that is issued together with the visa cannot be extended or changed to another purpose of residence. Depending on the length of the planned language course, the visa can be issued as a national or a Schengen visa to allow the holder to attend a language course. Foreigners who will be admitted to studies in Germany immediately after they complete the language course must state this when applying for the visa.

Note: The German diplomatic missions abroad generally place information on the procedure for issuing a visa and on the documents that are required on their website.


Applying to Study

Foreigners are considered to have student status when they have been admitted to a course of studies at a public or state-recognised higher education institution, to a comparable education institution or to a higher vocational institution. Students must fulfil the following prerequisites to receive a national visa for the purpose of studying:

1. Admission to a duly recognised educational institution primarily for the purpose of gaining a professional/vocational qualification
2. Letter confirming applicant status; or
3. Letter from the university or the pre-study preparatory course stating that the decision on the admissions application requires the personal presence of the foreigner at the university
4. Adequate health insurance cover
5. Proof of sufficient financial resources (approx. € 650 per month).

Note that these materials have been prepared for information purposes only. For more information or details about the visa application please refer to your nearest German diplomatic mission.


Useful links:

DAAD booklet

Health Insurance

In order to receive a residence permit and register at the University, you must have health insurance. Please see the following webpages and learn more about health insurance providers available.


Techniker Krankenkasse TK


Additional information about health insurance can be found here.