Frequently Asked Questions

1. How long does the study programme last?

The Postgraduate Study Programme in IT-Law and IP-Law is a one-year course of studies. The first semester takes place in Hanover (October – January) and the second semester at one of our 11 partner universities (February – April/May). The thesis must be submitted in July and the graduation ceremony normally takes place in December.


2. Who are the partner universities? And how can I choose them?

You can select the partner universities on the application form.  For more information regarding the partner universities please follow this link. Please make sure you fulfil the language requirements when choosing a partner university (see below).


3. Do I need to speak a different language at the selected partner university?

Most of the partner universities give all their lectures in English, such as the universities of Oslo Thessaloniki, Strathclyde, Leuven, Rovaniemi, London and Glasgow. However some partner universities require other or additional language skills.  These are the universities of Vienna, (German), Zaragoza, (Spanish) and Notre-Dame de la Paix Namur, (French).


4. If I am foreigner do I have to prove any knowledge of the German language?

No, it is not necessary to speak German since there are enough courses which are held in English. Therefore you can take the whole Masters course by attending only the courses taught in English. Nevertheless, if you want to follow the courses taught in German, a DaF exam is mandatory with a minimum score of 4x4.


5. How do I have to prove my knowledge of the English language?

You must prove your English language skills though one of the following English tests:(TOEFL) with at least 78 points in the Internet-based Test (IBT), 210 points in the Computer-based Test (CBT) and 547 in the Paper-based Test, or the Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Proficiency in English (CPE) with evidence of Grade B having been achieved. For special language requirements of our partner universities please advice the following link.


6. How much money do I have to pay in tuition fees for the first semester?


At present, no tuition fee is levled for studying in Hannover (as of Summer semester 2015). A general administrative enrollment fee, currently of around 426,50 €, is charged. (Please note that the university semester fees can vary from term to term and that they are non negotiable). By paying the university fees, you will be entitled to a student card which entitles you to many discounts as a student, such as meal discounts at the university campus; cinema entry discounts; swimming pool entry discounts; free public transport e.g. free metro and tram travel in Hanover and free train tickets within the lower Saxony area, for example you can travel to Hamburg or Bremen for free.


7. How much money do I have to pay for the second semester?

The tuition fees depend on which university you choose to go to. Some universities do not charge any tuition fees at all, only the student union fees (about 50 euros). However others do charge tuition fees for the second semester. For more information about tuition fees at indivdual universities, please visit this website.


8. As a foreigner can I apply for a scholarship?

You cannot apply directly to our institution for a scholarship.


9. As a foreigner can I apply for the double degree scholarship to Oslo University?

Unfortunately, the DAAD limits the scholarships only to German students.


10. What kind of certificate do I receive after completing my studies?

After the successful completion of the course, students are awarded the academic degree Master of Laws (LL.M.).


11. When is the application deadline?

The application deadline is 15th July for applicants from Germany and other EU countries. Applicants from countries outside the EU have to apply by 31st of May.


12. Where can I get the application form?

You can download the application form here.


13. As a foreigner do I need a student visa? If so, what is the procedure to get it?

Yes, as a foreigner you will need a student visa. You must apply directly to the Embassy or Consulate of Germany in your country. We strongly advise you to start the visa application procedure as soon as possible because it can take several months depending on which country you are living in. As soon as we have received and formally checked your application, we will send you confirmation which you may use for the visa process. As the visa process is totally in the hands of the Embassies and Consulates, we are not able to help you further through this process.


14. Where can I get more information about the programme?

You can get more information here.


15. How much are the living costs in Hanover?

For information regarding the living costs in Hanover please visit the following site:


16. How can I find student accommodation in Hanover?

For information regarding rooms please visit the following link:


17. How can I find student accommodation in the partner universities?

Please contact the partner universities after your placement has been confirmed for further information regarding accommodation. If you want to go to Stockholm university, we suggest you visit the website Please follow the instructions given on the site and log in. By doing this you will enter into a queuing system which will help you to get student accommodation close to Stockholm university.